These days, everyone’s a DJ. And everyone knows someone who knows someone that’s a DJ. And just like friends shouldn’t let friends move them, colleagues shouldn’t let their spouses DJ their office Christmas party.
8 Tips on how to hire the right DJ or DJ Service for your company:
* Compile a list of DJs by asking friends for referrals and ask your vendors to recommend their “preferred DJ’s: since they work with DJ’s more often, they are likely to know what’s out there.
* Don’t make the price the deciding factor. Pricing is one thing-quality is another. Price can range from $500-$1500. DJ’s are not created equal and equipment, experience and level of service all come into play. $800-$1200 is the average for a Christmas party. The difference between a bad experience and a great experience can be $200.
* A DJ service is generally priced higher than just hiring an independent DJ. The benefits of hiring a DJ service? Most are full time and offer liability insurance. Also, if the DJ gets sick, they’ll have a suitable replacement.
* How quickly do they return your call or email? We once booked a client within 60 seconds of answering their call just because we answered our phone! They were tired of not hearing back from all the others. You still need to do your homework to ensure they’re the right fit for you.
* Does it look like they invest in their business? How’s their website? Can you view their music selection on line? Do they offer lighting? Are they a member of the BBB? Do they have an online inquiry form?
* Get it in writing: you should always have a Service Agreement that requires your signature and outlines the terms and conditions, form of payment and cancellation policy.
* The music: A great DJ will stand up all night and read the crowd. A Lazy DJ will just press play and take a seat. If your company strives to be the best in its field, then don’t settle for just a DJ. Will they have the type of music your group is into? Will it be radio edited or full of ‘f’ bombs? Will they take direction from the organizer? Are they living for the moment? Or do they want to get an A on their report card so that they may see you next year?
* Biggest myth? No DJ or DJ Company needs to have backup equipment in their car, unless of course they use shoddy equipment!
A professional DJ company will work with you to create that signature event your colleagues and invited guests will rave about for weeks, months, even years later. It’s all about the relationship and creating great memories that help strengthen office morale and increase productivity.